Monday, August 26, 2013

To my 40-year old self.

Happy birthday! Congratulations on being alive for 4 decades now. (Have to thank all the longetivity well wishes you got every year haha) So surreal huh, that 17 years went past just like that.

It's 2030 now, is Instagram or Facebook still trendy? Are you married to the boy you're so deeply in love with when you're 23? Do you have a kid now? Are you still stuck at a job that you're passionless about, just to help pay the bills around the house? A friend inspired me to write this letter to you, so I hope when you're done blowing the candles of your birthday cake, you might find this letter the most interesting gift that you've ever received as of yet. (Of course it would be, it's from you to yourself haha)

Remember that time when you're 19, and you realized that your family was falling apart. You saw Ayah making mistakes after mistakes, and hurting everyone else you swore there would never be a day you'll forgive him. I hope that doesn't remain the same today. I really hope he's still around, and that maybe your kid has the chance to call him Atok. I hope you finally found the inner peace (and strength) to forgive, and that staying angry/disappointed is never the end solution. Honestly, I (my past self) just hope that all's well again with everyone (Ayah Ibu Kakak Yusuf Yunus) before you start a family on your own.

Speaking of that, how is it coming along? Being married, having a child? Do you know how to cook, other than the instant noodles you depended on, while growing up? I really wonder how you went through child labour, because do you remember, swearing to all your friends that you will never get out of labour alive cause the pain might just kill you? But kudos, you did it! If things go as well as I planned now, your kid will be at least 10 years old. I hope you love him like no other person in the world. If you hadn't done it yourself, teach him to laugh often. Tell him to not be afraid to make mistakes, because no matter what Daddy and Mummy will still love him unconditionally. Use your parental authority and make him learn at least one musical instrument (tell him he will thank you in the future when he grows up swooning girls with the acoustic guitar..)  Don't forget to always tell him that you love him, cause if he has half of your genes, he would know that verbal assurance is important haha. Also, for endless and uncountable reasons that you agreed to marrying your husband, I hope both of you are still deeply in love today. It's okay to take a night off, and be young again, just the both of you. Don't be shy to flirt with each other, hold hands in public, send mushy text messages (is texting obsolete now?? haha).

You have had a tough time in your late teenage years, stepping into adulthood. Heavy with the shackles of responsibilities, moving out, paying rent, figuring out how to love a man, .. I hope you eradicate the resentment of growing up eventually because you will realize that not all bad will stay. I hope you learn to be more selfless, more patient. You always tell yourself at 23 to learn to love yourself more, I hope you get that satisfaction. Always know that you want yourself and that the people who matter in your life to be happy. It's your life, don't live it for all the wrong people, all the wrong reasons. I know you have this tendency to impress people that are not important, STOP, DON'T.

Turning 40 is not the end of the world (although your skin, your eyebags, your vision, your bones, your hair might disagree haha), it is never too late to do the things you want to. Like going to NYC, like sky diving, like read all the books you never had time to, watch all the movies you never had time to. I hope you finally have your driving license!! Stay gracious with what you have now, learn to be humble if you have more than other people, even if you know you earn/work hard for it, be humble. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS continue to count your blessings (there will always be something to be grateful for everyday), and cherish the people that you love, that have been there for you ever since. Also I hope you are closer to your spirituality now, and that your faith is greater than today. If you think it's time to repent, then I say slowly, but surely. Don't stray further anymore. It's never too late to find a higher peace, but I hope you're well on your way (along with the people that you love).

There's just so many advice that I can say (which might sound a bit pretentious in my part, seeing that I'm 23 years old...) but really, I hope life has been treating you well and dandy! Be the good person that you are, and I hope the world hasn't changed you drastically. Stay close to all your principles that helped make you have this giant heart. Always be positive, because hey look, I'm sure you're smiling right now. Don't fret the grey hair, or the stretch marks or that your kid thinks you suck. Because I know you've worked hard for all the things that you have right now, and you still have more than half your lifetime to chase all your dreams. They say life is an endless journey of learning, so continue to make better choices! Haha.

Once again, Happy birthday you! Like every other year, I wish you success, good health, longevity and happiness. Remember to floss, and moisturize everyday!! I hope all those years you were in Shell hasn't given you any health side effects, and don't be afraid to give your husband an angry face if he chooses to smoke in the house.

Now, eat some cake. And listen to all of your favorite songs growing up (Nsync Big Bang One Direction Justin Bieber... don't worry you were once very hip, and scene haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment